Thursday 6 June 2013

SIX OF THE BEST

..Plus three of a kind

WHAT an amazing day it's been in the hen pen with nine new arrivals ... and counting.
 A friend of mine with an incubator handed over six cuddly Scots Dumpy young'uns that hatched from an assortment of eggs I gave her nearly three months ago.
SIX OF THE BEST: New arrivals
 In my confusion they were mixed up so I've no idea who the parents are but I think we'll have some fun guessing as they develop their own traits and characteristics.
 But during all the excitement I managed to overlook the arrival of three more chicks from eggs hatched by Josephine, my black hen who went all broody several weeks ago.
MOTHER HEN: Ruffled Josephine
 She's been sitting tight on her eggs, refusing to budge which has forced me to do battle with her every morning by lifting her off the eggs and carrying her to the nearest food station.
 As I've mentioned before it is important to make sure broody hens do get some exercise, food and water at least once a day otherwise they could develop all sorts of problems with potentially fatal consequences.
 Today was no exception although she seemed far more aggressive and resistant to being moved. In the end I gave a final yank and noticed two fluff balls drop from her underbelly. At first I thought they were clumps of matted feathers until both began to wobble and squeak prompting Josephine to emit an unearthly squawk followed by a series of really savage pecks which forced me to drop her as well!
THREE OF A KIND: The day old Dumpys
 All three were returned to the nesting box in due haste and left until later today seemingly non the worse for their experience.
 When I returned early this evening I went in fully prepared - gardening gloves on - I gently but firmly removed her from the nest so she could at least stretch her legs and pass whatever waste had accumulated from the previous day. The mission was accomplished and within two minutes she was back with her brood but not before I managed to 'pap' the three new ones. As you can see from the photograph there's still some eggs to hatch.
 This is a fast-moving story and I will update you tomorrow on any new developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment