Tuesday 8 October 2013

MY DUMPYS HAVE GOT THE X-FACTOR

..But their feathers are falling out

THERE is much excitement in the hen pen these days as stardom beckons my wonderful Scots Dumpys, a rare breed of hen which were once a common sight in Bonny Scotland.
 My efforts at saving this endangered species were finally rewarded in an unexpected phone call last week when an agent asked me if I was the dumpy woman in the Borders.
 At first I thought he was being a little personal, one of those cold callers trying to sell weight loss products, and then I suspected hubby had got one of his friends to phone and indulge in some leg-pulling.
 Thankfully the polite man carried on seemingly oblivious to my rather chilled and abrupt responses. It transpired he runs an agency booking animals to feature in films and on TV so I took his number and returned the call a while later.
COCK SURE: Horatio finally out of 
the shadows
 It emerged there's some huge bodice-ripping 17th century drama in production that will be bigger than Game of Thrones and the director needs my heroic little hens to play a role.
 I can't say too much about it at the moment, or mention the big name stars who will be there, but next week I will set off north (beyond Edinburgh) with 10 of my best hens so they can make their acting debut.
 Sadly alpha male Napoleon, who you can see and hear by clicking on to the 30 second video (below)  may have to be sidelined for this series (yes, this could roll on) since he's started moulting and last week lost his magnificent tail feathers.
 And a few other veterans have also started to shed their feathers so there are some unsightly bald patches. However the loss of feathers means an unexpected bonus for some of the birds ... step forward Horatio who has always played second fiddle to Napoleon and remained in his shadow as a result. Now his moment has come but I'm not sure he's ready to step up to the plate. When he gets stressed his lovely red comb turns purple and the younger hens don't appear to take any notice of him.

  I have 25 Scots Dumpys now so I should have some fine examples from which to choose. Auditions will commence at the weekend and I will select ten of the best on poise, feather quality and temperament. The best bred Dumpy has short legs and a long, boat-like body forcing it to almost waddle as it makes its way through long grass.
 I have to say I am well impressed by the film researchers who insisted that the only hens to take part in the farmyard seens should be Scots Dumpys. I really didn't realise that so much time and effort was spent in getting such minor details historically correct.
Dumpys were much loved and valued by the Celts and the Picts for their remarkable hearing and, should any tresspassers wander by, they would be the first to alert the camp. Would be invaders and English Border raiders cursed them because of their ability to raise the alarm on hearing an alien sound.
 In this blog: http://soho2silo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/scots-dumpys-unsung-heroes-of-nation.html I call on Scotland's First Minister to make the Dumpy the nation's new mascot.
 Unfortunately, in this age of cloning, accelerated breeding etc. Scots Dumpys have literally died out as high volume egg production became more favoured by farmers than amiable characteristics.
 They are still an endangered species but there is a Scots Dumpy Club http://www.scotsdumpyclub.org.uk/ made up of a few folk like myself who are determined the keep the breed going. Of course once mine hit the big screen I think there could well be a revival of interest in the breed.
STARLETS: Celebrity chickens or mere bystanders? Waiting 
patiently for the auditions
 Hubby is often complaining that the cost of their feed is much higher than their output but even he is well impressed that they're going to earn some dosh. I won't go into details but it's above the minimum wage - that's showbiz!
 Stay tuned for a full report - and possibly pictures - of our day on set. If all goes well my girls will be required for three more
shoots in the next four weeks.
 And no longer will I be known as the woman who fell off a donkey in Afghanistan - from now on I'll be known as the Dumpy woman!





1 comment: