Tuesday 5 November 2013

CHARLOTTE'S FIRST EGG

.. A small triumph

AS YOU ALL know, my Scots Dumpys hens are very precious to me, not just because they are an endangered species,  but because they are also great little characters which is why I write at length about their milestones large and small.
CHARLOTTE: Relaxing with her brothers and sisters recently
 One of my youngest is called Charlotte and she is a beautiful black hen with an amazing bottle green undertone shining through her ebony feathers. Her tragic mother Josephine is still missing, almost certainly the victim of a fox strike, but I'm happy to say her legacy lives on through the six eggs she hatched earlier this year.
 Charlotte emerged from one of the hen houses this morning looking mildly surprised and a little coy; the reason I noticed her is because all of the others had left the hen coop some minutes earlier for their morning stroll. There's usually a feathered stampede for the gate when it opens so I was surprised she had lagged behind.
SMALL but perfectly formed
 But when I went and checked her hen house there was a shiny, newly laid egg ... still beautifully warm. Furthermore it's the first egg I've had from the girls in the last three weeks as some are moulting while others are unhappy at the chilly weather conditions. And it is, without doubt, Charlotte's first.


 OK, so it might not quite fit into the egg cup pictured right, but the start of every journey begins with one step. Well done Charlotte, may this be the first of many and here's hoping you will go on to become a wonderful mother just like Josephine. If she was here today she would be so proud, I'm sure.

1 comment:

  1. First, congratulations! PS Don't want to be Uppity but they are a race, not a species.

    ReplyDelete