Wednesday 27 November 2013

WHAT A PHEASANT SIGHT

Or... white brace make a right pair

HARD TO BLEND IN when your snow white
SITTING ON THE FENCE: Cock pheasant
surveys his surroundings
EARLIER this year a close friend of mine bought me a pair of white pheasant at an auction after I'd expressed an interest in breeding unusual birds. Since I was limited on housing I put them in with my rare breed Scots Dumpys and hoped for the best. 
 No great friendships were formed, in fact my chooks seemed singularly unimpressed by the young arrivals and made clear, in the hen house pecking order, these two were way down the ladder of importance and privilege.
 Just recently, despite the occasional sighting of a young dog fox at night, I've taken to let the birds roam freely during the day as long as I'm around to supervise and ahead of dusk they usually return to the hen pen. I really thought the pheasant would do a runner as soon as the gates opened but they too return before dusk. 
 I'm not sure if the pheasant have become institutionalised or are aware that atleast the hen pen gives them cover ... after all when you are as white as the driven snow it's very difficult to blend in with the countryside, unless there are blizzard conditions! 
 Although the pheasant shooting season is well underway, I'm told white birds, which are extremely rare, are usually not targetted as on some shoots there's a £250 penalty for hitting one though I think the price and rules vary depending on the shoot.
 I've so far not named the pair - so any suggestions would be most welcome, but here's pictures I took of them today. The cock pheasant has a red mask forming across his face and, although a tad mucky, he is developing a striking set of tail feathers whereas the hen (above right) is rather dowdy by comparison.





1 comment:

  1. They may indeed be conspicuous now but hope they'll be fine if it snows!! They look tear drop shape so maybe call the girl "Paisley" and the boy "Morris" as in William Morris and his designs; also gives them a hint of Scots and the exotic???

    ReplyDelete