Thursday 19 December 2013

TURKEYS LOOK FORWARD TO CHRISTMAS

..But not so excited about Easter

HAPPY WANDERERS: Ant, Dec & Little Boots
 CHRISTMAS is not, traditionally, a happy time for turkeys but the 'Season of Goodwill' holds no trepidation for my birds ... especially Ant, Dec and Little Boots the Bourbon Reds who strut their stuff freely around my farm in the Scottish Borders.
 It's not because I'm a Muslim; in fact like many converts to Islam I still go to the family Christmas lunch but can't eat the turkey because it's not halal.
 Ant, Dec and LB, pictured right, know they're quite safe because they've managed to wangle their way into my heart with their personalities.
 As visitors to the farm know, if an animal has a name it's usually safe and while some stock may have been originally been destined for the pot their journey to the kitchen has been diverted because relationships are forged and then before you know it a pet status and reprieve follows.
 This has not been lost on hubby who started to complain that we're probably running an animal sanctuary and not a working farm. Thankfully the Scots Dumpys did earn their keep recently after being 'spotted' by an animal talent scout who needed some of the rare breed hens to feature in a TV film production (more of that later). They earned a four figured sum and have more than earned their keep so far. So now I've decided to keep turkeys for the table and recently bought nine Norfolk Bronze poults, pictured below left, from a vet in Northumberland. They'll not fatten up in time for Christmas so now I'm going to focus on Easter and resist forging any relationships with the cute little things.

NORFOLK BRONZE POULTS: Six weeks old arriving


in their new home
 I can't guarantee that they will be organic turkeys because I've no idea what they will be feeding on at times since they will be free range but I imagine they'll turn out to be really tasty birds. They are being fed on mash, corn, pure olive oil, sunflower seeds and a variety of other seeds and oats in a rich mixed feed I've developed myself.
 And, if we are what we eat, then when the time comes my birds should be delicious. I chose to start off with Norfolk Bronze turkeys because the meat is succulent, high in protein and low in fat ... healthier in many ways than beef or lamb. The turkeys will be slaughtered halal so should appeal to Muslims as well as anyone else who wants to eat a nice plump bird around April 2014 and I will be taking orders and even offering a delivery service to the door.   If this all works well I will keep the programme rolling and then next Christmas converts to Islam, like myself, should be able to provide their non-Muslim families with a bird for the table and be able to tuck into turkey because my birds will be halal.
ADULT Norfolk turkeys nearly ready


for the table
 And of course there's nothing to stop Muslims from buying halal birds as a gift for their neighbours regardless of faith or beliefs.
 It should all be very straight forward ... as long as I avoid giving any of them names!
















3 comments:

  1. I would love to try a free range halal turkey, have been looking for one this year but to no avail :( Please put me down for one, whenever they are ready, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't speak for all non-Muslims, but I can't think of a reason to avoid halal food. If I'm not mistaken this simply means that a prayer has been said and certain methods are used to process it. If somebody wants to pray over my food, please feel free, and the method of butchering the animal is outside my area of concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you choose to disregard the method of butchering then I would say that you have a very limited area of concern. You certainly do not speak for all non-Muslims, however, this is not the place for such a debate.

    ReplyDelete