Thursday 24 April 2014

A CRACKING EASTER EGG

.. With a real chick but no choc

 IT WAS my birthday the other day and I forgot - in fact with the exception of a card from one of my sisters just about everyone else (including hubby!!!) did as well ... but I still got a surprise present.

EASTER EGG: Chick about 
to make surprise entrance
FIRST DRINK: Chick quenches its thirst after
mum shows him/her how its done
 The gift came wrapped in an egg shell and marks the arrival of the next generation of my rare breed Scots Dumpy hens.
 Mum is still sitting on more than a dozen eggs although I doubt if they will all hatch and nothing arrived the next day although one egg showed a tell-tale hairline crack and chip today.
 I've decided not to intervene - too much - in the process this time around but as you can see from the picture to the right it takes some effort breaking out of a shell.

SOLO: "Am I the only one, mum?"





 Within 24 hours the little 'un was taking a drink but looks slightly forlorn and lonesome at the moment.
 Only time will tell if I get any white chicks this year after I sneaked a few eggs from my sole white hen under the broody hen who is the daughter of the late Josephine.
 I also sneaked in a couple of pheasant and turkey eggs as well so we could get some interesting results over the next few days. Naturally I shall keep everyone updated through your favourite countryside blog.
 In the meantime two more hens have gone broody and are sitting on a dozen eggs each rather making my incubator redundant so far - there's no substitute for the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment