Friday 25 April 2014

SHELL SHOCK

.. But it's all white!



EGGSCITEMENT in hen house as arrival
marks a new chapter for Scots Dumpys
 YIPPEE! That little bundle of yellowy fluff on the right marks a historic first for my Scots Dumpys because she - or even he - represents the arrival of an elusive white feathered chick. And if you look close up and left another egg is cracking open and I sneaked a peek to discover yet another white Dumpy is on the way.
 This is so eggsciting! Sorry but I can barely contain myself as I've been wanting to breed white Scots Dumpys for more than a year now.
 It was a real struggle to even find a white hen and then Thumberlina arrived via an incubator ... the only egg from a batch of 20 to hatch. The nearest thing I had to a white cockerel was Horatio who is a very light cuckoo rooster with a pair of all white wings.
 They made a perfect couple and have spent the last few months in their own exclusive pen just to make sure none of the other roosters got up close and personal with my little Thumberlina.

THUMBERLINA: Unaware that 
she's a mum
 And then, with a little help from a broody hen, I placed her eggs in among the others and hey presto!
HORATIO: Clueless as usual about his
historic contribution
 While I can barely contain my exictement all of this has bypassed the parents who seem totally oblivious to their key roles in the arrival of the chicks.
 I've no idea what goes on in the mind of a hen but the foster mum seems oblivious to the fact two of her chicks are white and I wonder what Horatio and their real mum will make of them when their paths cross in the hen pen.




No comments:

Post a Comment