Wednesday 21 May 2014

A SWARM IN MAY IS ...

..worth a load of hay

HAPPY & relieved
 THERE is a proverb in 17th century bee-keeping circles that a swarm in May is worth a load of hay which means that it is worth far more than a swarm of honeybees later in the year when there's less time to collect pollen from blossoming flowers.
 So imagine my delight when I spotted not one but two swarms while out walking in the woods; although I suspect at least one may originate from my apiary.
 Still, the excitement of actually trapping and capturing my first ever swarm could barely be contained and so I made a flurry of phone calls to all of my mates in the beekeeping world ... not one answered their phone. I was well and truly on my own.
 In panic mode I checked the many reference books I have and decided there was nothing for it but to go out and do it myself.


SWARM BALL of bees clinging to a 
Rhododendron branch
 Since hubby was not around this was going to be a difficult task and so I went for simplicity and armed myself with nothing more than a pair of sharp scissors, a brush and two plastic boxes containing frames of wax.

   Choosing to leave the smoker behind since I was banking on the bees being in an exceptionally happy mood ... and they were. Before bees decide to clear off they empty the hive of all honey supplies by drinking the stuff until they're so full. By the time they're airborne they're so bloated that it's virtually impossible to bend their bodies and use their stings; that they can reach their swarm meeting point is probably a minor miracle in itself.


 The first ball-shaped swarm was hanging under the branches of an old Lebanon pine tree and I was able to literally give it a couple of tugs before it dropped in its entirety into the box.


 I was so excited I forgot to take a picture of that one but the second swarm about the shape and size of a rugby ball was even easier to get. I simply snipped the branch they were hanging from and they dropped into the waiting box. As you can see from my cheesey grin in the selfie above I was absolutely delighted.
 Both boxes are now sitting in the shade and will be put in a more permanent home once I've spoken to my mentor Alex. 
 I quite like the idea of starting up the Warre hive again or using my brand new top bar hive which I bought from a beekeeper in South Yorkshire the other day.
 Top Bar and Warre hives produce that rough cut honey on the comb that so many people enjoy.
 Which ever hive I opt for you can expect to read about it here in your favourite countryside column soon!



  





No comments:

Post a Comment