Wednesday 21 May 2014

AS PROUD AS A PEACOCK

..& as sick as a Peahen

YOLK CLUES: Sticky yellow
feathers underneath
PHILOMENA: Pale & disinterested
A COUPLE of my beautiful peahens are causing some angst at the moment. Victoria, my Indian Blue disappeared nearly three weeks ago and there can only be two possible reasons ... yes, you've guessed it, that flaming fox again. Although hubby has scoured the land looking for any telltale signs of a smash and grab and has found nothing to indicate she was snatched, attacked or killed. The other solution could be that she has made a nest and is sitting on some eggs. Sometimes I think I hear her screeching as dusk approaches but I've not seen her. Only time will tell but the next few weeks are going to be anxious ones.
 Meanwhile, one of my white peahens, Philomena, has been out of sorts the last couple of days and I think she has had egg trouble. At least that's the conclusion drawn by a really nice bloke called Martin who breeds and sells peafowl from his farm in Ormskirk, Lancashire. Here is his website: http://www.browfarm.co.uk/peafowl/  I bought my Indian Blues from him last year and called him a few hours ago to ask his advice. Although I didn't buy my three whites from him he was happy to listen and counsel on what might be the problems. We think Philomenia has just started laying but two days ago her wings started drooping and she moved very slowly with each step being made in an extra cautious way. You can see by her expression (above) she doesn't look happy.
DROOPY wings are a tell-tale sign all is
not well with white peahen
HAPPY FAMILIES: Albert looks on as 'droopy' Philomena
is comforted by her two companions (centre and far right)
 On closer inspection I noticed her undercarriage was sticky and yellowy as though she'd sat on some egg yolk and that might not be too far from the truth. Martin reckons she's just started laying and may be one of the eggs didn't have a shell ... I know that's happened to my hens before. Or, it could be that an egg has cracked inside her. The good news is that she's covered in what could be yolk underneath which means whatever was inside her is now coming out. I would have put her in isolation until she recovers but the other peafowl seem to be comforting her in her hour of need.
 There's very little I can do other than give her a high protein diet and she has started to nibble at her food which is another good sign.
 Obviously I will keep you up to date with any changes and if you can throw in some advice please do. Feedback is always welcome.








No comments:

Post a Comment